What are categories?
Categories help organize your content to make it easier for visitors to browse through. If a visitor is looking for a post on a certain subject then it makes it easier to find and not have to scroll through different posts. When you first start writing a post on WordPress, you’ll notice that there’s already a category in your category box under the name uncategorized. WordPress requires you to have at least one category so uncategorized is the default category. If you forget to pick the categories for your post then by default it goes to uncategorized. And although you are not able to delete it, you can still change it to another name.
Adding a new category
There are two ways to add a category. The first way is by adding it through your post panel.
- On the right side of your screen, you’ll see the categories box. *If you do not see it, make sure it’s checked off on your screen options.
- Click on the +Add New Category button.
- Enter the name for your category.
- Click on the Add New Category button just below the form and you will see that it is now added to your category section.
The other way to add a category is by going to your dashboard, posts > categories.
- Type in your desired category name in the Name form.
- Click on the Add New Category button once you’re done.
- Your category will now be available in the category box.
Deleting Categories (Individually)
*Deleting a category will not delete all posts under that category. All posts will simply be categorized under your default category. You can delete categories through the bulk action if you’re deleting several of them – or you can do it individually if you’re getting rid of just one. To delete a category head to your dashboard posts>categories.
- To delete individually, hover your mouse over the category that you wish to delete.
- You will see that you have the options to either edit, quick edit, delete, and view. Click on the delete button.
- A screen will pop up confirming that you are about to permanently delete the category. Click on the Ok button to proceed with deleting.
- Your category will now be deleted from your category box.
Deleting Categories (Bulk Option)
If you have several categories you want deleted head to your dashboard posts > categories.
- Go to your category box and check the categories you want to be deleted.
- Just on top of the category box is the Bulk Actions scroll. Click on it and scroll down to the Delete option.
- Click on the Apply button next to the scroll to delete your selected categories.
- Your categories are now deleted.
Renaming a category is also in the same location as deleting a category. Head to your dashboard posts>categories.
- Hover your mouse over the category you wish to change.
- Click on the edit button to change the name.
- You will be directed to another screen where you can change the name, add a description, slug, etc.
- Go to the Name form where your current category name is and change it to the desired name.
- Click on the Update button to confirm change.
Converting Categories into Tags
To convert your categories into tags (or tags into categories) head to your dashboard tools>import.
- Go to the Categories and Tags Converter and click on the Install now link.
- Once it’s done installing, click the Run Importer link.
- Check the categories you wish to convert to tags or vice versa.
- Click on the Convert Categories to Tags button to start converting.
- You will be directed to a screen to let you know they were converted successfully.